Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Why, what, how much does it cost, will it work?

To start the blog for a DIY NAS I post this first post to say few things.

Why?
NAS solutions on the market cost a lot, if you want enterprise speeds and require very powerful hardware. I am an IT Architect and want to test if doing this cheaply is possible or not. NAS will be used by couple of VMWare virtual hosts and host my personal data.

What?
DIY NAS, with better than 1gbit performance, and good IOPS. Idea is to use 10gbit Infiniband to connect other devices to the NAS. Target would be around 500MB/s - 800MB/s

How much does it cost?
At the moment the costs are around 1100 € including VAT (847 € excluding VAT). The specific hardware info will be provided later.

Will it work?
I don't know, hopefully it will. We'll see. Wish me luck!

Nasman

No comments:

Post a Comment